Frequently Asked Question
Cub/Max: How to Update Firmware.
Last Updated 5 years ago
Firmware is the programming in a device that controls it functions. Occasionally a firmware update is necessary to correct problems.
Determining which firmware you need
Note: We use the same firmware for the Cub Jr, the Cub, and the Max embossers, with the following exception. You need to check your serial number to determine which firmware to use.
The Gen I embossers have a serial number in which the last 4 characters are a number less than 2000. The 4th character will be 0 or 1, for example, CMX0052 or CMX1505. These take firmware version 1.6.4
The firmware 1.6.4 is attached to this article and intended only for Gen1 Cub and Max embossers.
The Gen II embossers have serial numbers in which the last 4 characters are 2000 or more, or the 4th character is A. For example, CMX2002 or CMXA0056 are Gen II serial numbers.
Click here to download the correct firmware for your embosser.
Installing your firmware
Start your embosser in Service Mode by holding all 3 buttons down while powering it on.
- Run the executable file containing the firmware update.
- Select your embosser and click Start Download. (You do not need to be connected to the Internet)
- The progress indicator will fill as each step in the process is carried out.
- When it is complete, an information pop-up tells you the update was successful. The embosser will give the ready beep code.
- Turn the embosser off and back on and close out of the firmware update utility.